Friday, January 6, 2012

Day 3 - I had an "ah-ha" moment today

So something occurred to me today. I don't write a 25 page research paper by just sitting down and typing. And I would never go on vacation without first (almost painstakingly) planning. So why would I ever think I could completely overhaul the way I think about food and eating without first having a carefully thought out plan? A set course of action. Small, tiny steps for my day-to-day.

And then I discovered how much easier and considerably less intimidating dieting is when I make a plan. If I just wander aimlessly through the day without any preemptive thoughts for my meals, I'll likely make poor, unprepared decisions.

So I've decided, until I get better at managing my meals, I'll stick to somewhat boring meal guidelines. These consist of coffee in the morning with a little bit of sugar (something I'm really not ready to part with) and skim milk. Two pieces of whole wheat toast. I found whole wheat bread with only 35 calories per slice, which I found amazing. And sugar-free, fiber enriched strawberry preserves. This will be my breakfast for a while. I've never been a good breakfast eater, but I hear it's a good idea.

I've also found a calorie-free, sugar-free, carb-free honey mustard salad dressing. And it's actually pretty tasty for a diet dressing. There were other types like thousand island and ranch, but I'm partial to honey mustard. Now, given it has basically nothing in it, I can only assume it's just a bottle of cancer. But, eliminating artificial sweeteners is a bridge I'm not prepared to cross just yet. So for now, my lunch salads with chopped up sliced turkey and zero-everything dressing will have to do, cancer or no cancer.

Dinner is a little more difficult because I'm eating with my boyfriend almost every night. He's not at all interested in dieting the way I am. So I just have to make good decisions. Last night after work we went to Logan's Steakhouse. It was soooo tempting to order something terrible for me and eat the whole basket of dinner rolls. But I didn't. I had one dinner roll (which was still probably a mistake), a house salad with lite dressing on the side, a small sirloin and a sweet potato in lieu of the normal baked potato. A healthier choice, I hear.

Also, I haven't chosen an official weigh-day. With classes starting this week, I just have to see when I can be most consistent. But this morning I weighed myself to establish a starting weight.

Start Weight: 220.0

Goal Weight: 150.0

Pounds to Lose: 70

That is a seemingly huge number. I'm not much for trying to stick to very specific weight goals by specific dates, because I think that can be very discouraging. However, I did figure up if I lose 1.5pounds per week, for almost exactly 12 months, I'll reach my goal weight. Nice and slow and steady and hopefully forever.

I'm also not sure I will be 100% satisfied at 150, though right now it sounds absolutely perfect. And I will tentatively change my final goal as time progresses.

I feel very positively about this. I've done really well the past two days. And I can say that with a completely clear conscience, even if I just ate a piece of dark chocolate 15 minutes ago. And that's because I ate ONE piece and I was happy. Not half the bag. (:

I hope anyone reading this is also having luck and feeling positive about their choices! And if not, then I say just keep trying. Mistakes are nothing to worry about as long as you are taking care to avoid making them again.

This post was sort of ramble-y. But I'm still getting my footing!

Here’s to hard work and determination,

-E

No comments:

Post a Comment