Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 1: Admitting I have a problem

I’m going to skip the traditional introductions here and just jump right in. If you’re interested in learning a bit about me, I suggest the aptly titled “A little about me” tab at the top of this page.  (:


It seems to me my weight fluctuates in extremes. At my lowest adult weight, I was around 162. At my highest, 235. I’m 5′6 and have been since I was 18. According to that wonderful BMI chart, I have never been a healthy weight. And while I make no habits of doubting the great minds that designed it, I’m not sure I believe I should ever weigh only 114 pounds. But as I type this, I wonder if that’s not just another excuse.


My ultimate goal is to weigh around 150 pounds. I haven’t weighed myself in several weeks, so I’m not sure exactly how much I have to lose. But I do know it’s quite a bit and will take me a while. Starting tomorrow, or in a few days, I will begin weighing myself weekly. I just have to set a day of the week and time of day I can commit to.


I love lists, and feel most productive when I’m making them and adhering to them. This is a collection of reasons why I want to lose weight (including, but not limited to… I’m sure I’ll leave something out).



- I would like to avoid all the nasty diseases I will inevitably inherit if I remain unhealthy and overweight. These include diabetes, high blood pressure, and cancer. Cancer may not be directly linked to obesity, but it runs rampant in my family, and the healthier I am, the better chances I feel I’ll have to avoid it.


- I want more energy. It really pains me to admit I’m 22 years old and I feel like an 80 year old woman sometimes.


- I want to see if losing weight has any effect on my asthma. At 19 I was diagnosed with adult-onset asthma. A complete shock to me. I would love to minimize my symptoms, if at all possible.


- I want to improve my upper gi health. I’ve been on acid reflux medication for several years and the only times I remember not needing it is when I weighed less.


- I want to be lean, fit, and flexible. I want to appear strong, not marshmallowy.



Now for the less noble, but equally important reasons…



- I have noticed I have two “go-to” pairs of jeans. There’s no two ways about it… they are my fat jeans. I want to be able to comfortably and confidently wear ALL the jeans in my closet, even the tight ones.


- I want to shop where ever I want. I don’t care if it sounds shallow, I want to shop at the stores that stop at size 12. And I want to choose clothes based on how they look, not always how they look/fit.


- I want the first thing I assume people notice to not be my weight. I don’t want to be described as “the bigger one” anymore.


- I don’t want to avoid having my picture taken anymore


- To be able to wear shorts confidently


- To be able to wear a swim suit confidently


- To be able to feel comfortable, instead of bloated and big all the time


- To feel sexy taking a bath or sitting in a hot tub.


- So I can finally get a short haircut and not worry whether my head will look like a giant melon.


- To be able to sit with my legs crossed for long periods of time


- To be able to walk in heels for long periods of time


- So people believe I am the intelligent, capable person I know I am, and not someone who is fat and unhealthy and unable to take care of herself.


- To simply feel good about myself.


- And finally, to be able to tell people I was there once, and that they can lose the weight too. I want to be an inspiration to others.



Alright! I feel like I’ve written a book.



I’m not sure I like this layout, yet. The colors are kinda meh and I’m having issues with formatting.



I feel like this was a successful first post. My subsequent posts will be able food, weighing myself, fitness techniques I’m utilizing. This will be a place for accountability. And a place for new ideas to jump start my weight loss. I’ll see you all again very soon! Good luck, everyone.


Here's to hard work and determination,


-E

3 comments:

  1. Good luck girl! Seems like body wise we are very similar, I would love to weight 150.. I haven't bought scale yet but i am guessing i weight about 235ish also.. only i'm only 5'4. I really love your list.. and i would love to wear shorts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great blog you've started! Can't wait to read more. Best wishes as you continue with your goals, none of them are selfish or shallow, you're only asking for what yours by right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all people you really know what you're speaking about! Bookmarked. Please also consult with my site =). We may have a link exchange contract among us

    ReplyDelete