Thursday, May 17, 2012

Day 135 - Accomplishments and Setbacks

So I think I mentioned I've taken up running. We are legit running. Not this sissy jogging on a treadmill in air-conditioning watching TV stuff. (Not to discredit the people out there that do exactly that... I'm just saying it's vastly different) We run on trails that wind through really pretty wooded areas. The terrain ranges from paved tracks to fairly treacherous (with roots and fallen limbs and holes and that sort of thing). It's very hilly where we run. There are also other factors to consider when arguing that running outside is more challenging than on the treadmill... Like wind resistance and the fact that you are actually propelling yourself with each stride, rather than the "ground" moving below you. I'm not ragging on anyone that runs on a treadmill... though I think it may come across that way.

We have started and stopped and restarted the Couch to 5k program a few times now. I didn't want to officially start until I was able to honestly dedicated 3 days a week to it. Which is what is recommended, I guess.

Tuesday we completed Week 1 Day 1. I think this is like the third time we have done W1D1. And overall, it wasn't bad. I'm also a little bit surprised by how out of shape I apparently am. I even cheated on a couple of the running bits. Probably chopped off, in total, about 10-15 seconds of running. Whoops.

We rested yesterday and then completed W1D2 today. Today I only cheated on the very last 60 seconds of running. It wasn't because I decided it was time to stop. Or I just gave up when it got hard. No, it was my body telling me to stop... in the form of a full-blown asthma attack. In the middle of the woods. And my inhaler offered NO support. The scariest feel in the world, that I've experienced anyway, is the feeling in the middle of an asthma attack when you just can't seem to find your breath. It doesn't matter what you do, or how much you try to calm yourself down, the breaths just aren't there. It's like running, then trying to breath through a straw. And what's even more terrifying, is you don't know when it's going to be over. And of course, your thoughts inevitably wander to, IF it will ever be over.

In case you were wondering, it did end. My inhaler, combined with a few serious relaxation techniques, ended the attack after only 10 minutes or so. But the feel of fear is almost crippling. I hate it.

But I'm not giving up. Saturday we will be back out on those trails. Completing W1D3. Because I'm not a quitter. And I'm not going to let something like asthma keep me from my goals. I'll get there with or without these stupid lungs. Haha (Okay, probably not really... but you know)

Besides all that, nothing particularly interesting has happened. Staying within my calorie range isn't all that hard anymore, most days. It took almost 5 months, but things like fast food and junk food don't even sound pleasant anymore. I still haven't kicked my sweets habit. But I know the foods that I can eat without consuming a million calories, and I know the foods that just aren't worth the temporary satisfaction. It also helps that 2 or 3 days out of the month, I choose to eat more or less what I want, and I don't count at all. That's always something to look forward to and enjoy occasionally.

If the me from 5 months ago read that previous paragraph, she would have laughed in present day me's face... and probably called her something rude. haha It feels good to know what kind of progress I've made.

I'm going to dedicate a little bit of time to articles discussing runners with asthma. There have to be others out there. Then, I'm going to make a very delicious spaghetti dinner with ground turkey meat, made from scratch sauce, and some high-fiber whole wheat pasta.

Here's to hard work and determination,
-E

No comments:

Post a Comment