Thursday, January 26, 2012

Day 23 - Things That Are Annoying Me...

Hellooo everybody!

So, I have been getting more and more spam as time goes on. At first, I didn't mind it so much. I just deleted them and went about my business. Now it's staring to bother me. So, I've changed my settings to require commenters to be registered and logged in before they can submit a comment. I didn't really want to do this, but obviously it was what I should have done from the jump. Now... on to other things...

I have a little time between classes so I thought I'd do a little update and talk about some serious concerns I'm having.

So I'm not one to just jump into something without researching the shit out of it. That being said, I spent almost ALL of yesterday reading about nutrition and healthy eating and all  the things that can go wrong when you are losing weight. It's enough to make me go a little crazy... but this is what I gathered.

I'm absolutely convinced I am eating too many carbs. Most places on the great big internets suggest 50 - 100 carbs per day while losing weight and 100 - 150 while maintaining. It also seems the consensus is 40% of your daily calories should come from carbs. So... if I think about this a minute: because each carb = 4 calories, and 100 x 4 = 400. Then 400 should be 40% of my daily calories? So then I should be eating 1000 calories a day? (Since 400 is 40% of 1000, and all). Based on everything I read prior to my obsession with carbs, this isn't enough to prevent my body from going into starvation mode. This is hard. ):

ALSO. I am very concerned about all these carbs (yeah I'm still on that). I looked back at the past week and I've eaten between 140 and 225 carbs EACH DAY. And honestly I don't eat that much. So this says to me... I'm eating the wrong foods. Even though I'm eating things like whole wheat, fruits and veggies, low-fat/no fat dairy, and lean meats???

Also there's the fact that I'm still losing weight despite my massive carb intake. Which lead me to reading about fat loss and it's relation to the types/amounts of foods you're eating. Apparently, when you lose weight, it's often not fat your losing but lean muscle mass and connective tissue. I don't want to lose like 70 pounds then realize only half of that was actually fat and the rest was my lean muscle mass. Because eventually (as in, in the not so distant future) I would like to incorporate some strength training... and I don't want to lose anything I tone and build up.

Which leads me to my NEXT point... I'm super worried about loose skin. I see all these before and after pictures of women around my age, some older some younger, who have lost significant amounts of weight and aren't all loose and flabby. But what if that happens to me? It, of course, wouldn't be the end of the world and I would MUCH prefer have loose skin and healthy than overweight and... well unhealthy?

Honestly all this thinking and reading and researching is stressing me out a little. To summarize, in case you weren't a champ and didn't read that whole thing (kudos if you did)... I have no idea how many carbs I should be eating and how to implement that into my daily diet, losing lean muscle mass rather than fat, and saggy lose skin when I do eventually reach my weight loss goal.

I would love to visit a dietitian. No. I want a dietitian of my own. To live in my pocket. And whisper to me what to eat and what to put down. But really... Does anyone have this stuff figured out?

I'm all frazzled now... I'm going to try and get my mind on other things... like, maybe psychology or statistics! woo!

Here's to hard work and determination,

-E

5 comments:

  1. I would lose my mind if I had to take that many numbers into consideration. I personally follow
    Weight watchers. The only number I need is the point values of my food. If this means I use up all my points in a day eating carbs... Then so be it. I have lost 40 pounds in four months. Eating what I want in moderation. I don't know
    If you have ever tried WW,but It certainly works for me! It cuts out all the guess work of counting calories and the carb percentage stuff. Anyways... Good luck and I'm
    Sure you'll find something that's right for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. E -- I could be wrong here, but I'm a big believer in listening to your body. All those numbers are just... numbers. Each persons body works and functions differently. So, yeah, maybe to lose for some they need to cut carbs way down and maybe for some they have to reduce fat. But what I say to do (especially since you are already doing so well) is continue doing what you're doing. Counting carbs can be misleading since there are all KINDS of carbs. I only know because for a LONG time I was a low carber. What you're reading is more than likely talking about NET carbs. And for the most part, carbs in things like dairy and meat and most veggies isn't really counted. For things like bread and fruit, you subtract the fiber from the total carbs and if you did that, I'm sure you'd get a much lower number! So, it's not just total number of carbs, but quality of carbs that matter.

    As far as muscle loss and saggy skin goes, info on the net can be scary, misleading, and overall, hard to find! You will NOT have muscle loss if you are eating a balanced diet. If you are consuming decent cals. and working out, you won't have significant muscle loss. Muscle loss happens when your body is starving and starts to eat muscle for the sustenance. But you're not starving so that isn't a worry. Now for sagginess... The truth is, whether or not you have sagging counts on several things. One thing is drastic weight loss in a short period of time. By drastic I mean more like what you see on 'Biggest Loser'. Your body just can't handle 10lb. losses per week without something giving. I will say, some people's skin still pulls up some after losses like that, but it can take time. Next is good ol' genetics. It either will or won't.

    So, my suggestion is to try not to drive yourself nuts with numbers. Each persons numbers are different so you will literally just go mad trying to figure out your own personal formula based on their numbers. Leave their math problems for them to figure out and you keep working on yours. As of now, it looks like you are doing SO well that there is NO point in getting bogged down with details that as of this moment aren't that big a deal. You're doing great, so just keep going! :D Sorry this was so long!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unskinnygirl, I haven't tried WW. Honestly, the monthly fee and meetings kept me away. I'm a cash/time strapped college student and I just don't think I could swing it. But it sounds amazing!

    Jewlz,

    Thank you so much for your response! It really meant a lot to me!

    It was really very helpful and it really made me stop and think. After reading that, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing with maybe just a tiny bit more attention to carbs. Because you're absolutely right... Why fix something if it isn't broken? I'll cross the low-carb bridge when and if I come to it!

    Also, I'd love the link to your blog, so I can try and offer support and read any more bits of wisdom you have to share. (:

    Thanks again, ladies! Responses like these are was makes me believe I came to the right place for help and support!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jewlz & unskinny girl are right- calories are what matter, as long as you're getting enough protein & vitamins. I honestly think that the low-carb thing works because it cuts out so much high calorie food- bread, pasta, rice, anything baked, anything sugary.
    Eating less pasta & rice with your meal is an easy way to reduce calories, watching how much bread you eat, and avoiding trigger foods like chocolate- it's just another way to eat less, so don't stress about it. And don't cut fruit or veggies to reduce carbs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all the comments, also with the idea of having come to the right place ;-P
    Just one thing that may take your mind off skin worries: something you can do for your skin as you lose weight is apply daily some cream with vitamin A on those parts where you could get stretch marks. In my country doctors say that if you are planning to lose more than 20 pounds body cream is important because it helps you skin be more flexible. If you find those creams too expensive, maybe just baby oil on the wet skin will help as well.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete